Monday, October 7, 2013

You are invited to the no pants party!


While most people look forward to fall and fall fashion, not me. While I do like the little bit of weight leeway that big sweaters and layers allows I don't like having to dress for the cooler temperatures. So when most of my friends are celebrating the start to "boot season" I am left trying to cling to summer styles. Its not that I hate sweaters and boots, in fact I'm the opposite, I love them. What I have a problem with, is well, pants. Dresses are so easy. You only have to choose basically one article of clothing and maybe some layers according to the weather. Dresses are freeing. Nothing wrapped tight around each leg. 

Now I do realize that pants do have one leg up on dresses (pun intended). They are warmer than dresses and with the cooler temperatures that comes with fall I might be tempted to overcome my dislike and don a pair of trousers. Fortunately, I am saved from that necessity by one of the best articles of clothing: leggings. Thank you Olsen twins for letting us know non-black girls could wear them. As for the ongoing debate as to whether leggings can be considered and worn appropriately as pants, I will get contract momentary amnesia, and will say that they are pants. (What else would I wear in the winter to the gym/doing errands/ everyday life?)

Regardless of whether I am pro pants or not, I know that it is socially unacceptable to walk around in public not wearing pants. As you will have noticed, you probably have seen signs that state that you must have on a shirt and shoes to enter into whatever establishment that it is posted outside of. Likewise, you probably have never seen a sign addressing the need for pants to enter the premise. Thats because its so out of the social norm to not wear pants that they do not feel the need to make sure if everyone has pants on or not. Fashion designers do not always seem to be aware of this and put pantless looks down the runway all the time. While I don't think these looks are going to catch on anytime soon, I appreciate the designers' attempt to "revolt against the tyranny of pants."*

*quote from super underrated movie Bachelorette


DSquared2 Spring 2014
DSquared2 Spring 2014
Dolce and Gabbana SS 2014
Dolce and Gabbana SS 2014
Chanel 
John Richmond Spring 2013
John Richmond Spring 2013
Jason Wu
Jason Wu 
Jason Wu 






No comments:

Post a Comment